Everyone that owns a dog wants a loyal smart one-oh let’s be honest!!! Most people want a dog they can brag about. So, let’s discuss how you can train that loyal dog, but first let’s dig into your Expectations, and then how to make a dog smarter, and more loyal.
What Are Your Reasons?
What reasons do you (honestly) want your dog to be Loyal, and smart. Why do you want to know How To Train A Loyal Smart Dog? Is it because you actually do want to brag, or maybe is it just because you want a smart dog?
I’m not the bragging type of person (most of the time). I just want my dog to be smart because I want him to be potty trained, and so that he’s smart enough to know how to stay home, and not run away.
Then why do you want your dog to be loyal? Do you want your dog to defend your house if anyone ever breaks in? Do you want him to follow, love, and respect you? I want my dog to be loyal, because I know that his loyalty is a sign of respect.
What Are Your Expectations?
Do you want a dog smart enough to simply sit, and lay? Or do you want him to heel, roll over, speak, sit, stay, shake, play dead, etc.? What do you expect in terms of loyalty? Defending the house (House means you, your kids, wife, girlfriend. The people that make up the house.)? Or are your loyalty Expectations for your dog to defend the house, follow you around, and choose you over others?
The lighter your Expectations, the more content you will be in the end. Letts discuss how to train a Smart, and loyal dog now.
Dogs, are like people: some are simply smarter than others. Though like people dogs intelligence can grow, and even those born with the least intellect, can end up with the most in the end. So for your dog to be smart you need to exercise it.
Exercising Smarts P1
Possibly the easiest way to exercise smarts is to teach your dog new tricks. Your dog is above average if it can sit, lay, and speak on command. By teaching your dog tricks they gain slight knowledge of human words, because you have to say “Sit”, “Lay”, and “Speak”. Knowing partial human language may help your dog develop an even better understanding of the language later on. We will discuss this more later on… but for now let’s go over the types of smarts there are.
Now your dog won’t learn how to speak (at least not with (human) words), but they will be able to grasp compliments, and when you tell them they’ve done bad. That’s not incredible however, because a dog can tell those by the tone of your voice. The incredible part is that they can understand some basic words such as couch, chair, and TV. When your dog knows certain locations, and you can say “go to the TV”, and they actually go to the TV that shows that they have basic smarts.
Higher learned Smarts
Higher learned smarts is the ability to learn sit, lay, speak. I know that you’ve probably seen a million dogs that can sit, lay, and speak, and you probably don’t believe that it is a higher than average skill, but did you know that many dogs really can’t? Maybe they can’t because the owner did not teach them, or maybe they just don’t hold the brain capacity for tricks.
Infact knowing what most call “common” tricks doesn’t make a dog on a higher field of intelligence, and many smart dogs don’t know all of them, if any. This is again because the owners may have been lazy, or not had the time and not shown the tricks to them. Dogs that did not learn tricks, but are still smart may have natural smarts.
Every single dog has some form of natural smarts. Whether its digging out of a yard, or escaping a kennel. Like every type of smart though some are just better. To recap: the ability to dig out of a yard, or escape a kennel, are natural smarts. Then there’s Great Natural Smarts.
Advanced Natural Smarts
This is when you do more than escape a yard, or kennel. This is when your dog can hunt down a rabbit with no training, and can protect the house perfectly with no special dog school.
NOTE: These type of smarts are greatly affected by breed, and whether or not the dig was inbred.
This is knowing almost every dog trick, and having an understanding of your surroundings like kitchen, and chair. This is also knowing how to do amazing things, like how some dogs can ride skateboards.
These however are not to be confused with advanced natural smarts like hunting. Advanced natural smarts are just improved smarts that the animal naturally already had. Advanced Smarts are just unique smarts the animal had to learn.
Exercising Smarts P2
So now that you have learned of all these great smarts you probably want to learn how you can make your dog better in them. This is very simple: just train the dog, and treat him good, respectful, and with the loyalty you would want him to treat you with.
How To Improve Those Smarts
Each one of those smarts-even the natural ones-can be improved, and advanced. Let me tell you how to make your dog smarter and more loyal. (The loyalty part is in he next section, so please stick around)
- Improving Basic Smarts.The first thing you will want to do is exercise basic smarts. When your dog sits next to you on the couch say something along the lines of “Good Dog is on the couch”, or if you don’t want your dog on the couch say “Bad Dog get off the couch. Basic smarts are the level of understanding your dog has of you. So talk to him, when he is in the living room tell him that he’s in the living room. Now don’t say “Your in the living room”, but say “Your so cute sitting in the living room”. Remember dogs can tell by the tone of your voice if your happy, angry, and possibly sad. They will be able by that second statement to know that they are good, and eventually the words “living room” after awhile will stick, and your dog would have learned a room.
- Improving Higher Learned Smarts. Right now your dog may know how to sit, lay, or speak, but how often, or loud do you have ti say “Sit” before the dog actually carries out the action asked of him. To improve Higher Learned Smarts you first need to teach them to your dog, then you need to make sure that they have an immediate response. When you say “Speak” you shouldn’t have to yell it, and you shouldn’t have to say it more than once. This will take time though, so I suggest consistency. Practice those tricks constantly.
- Improving Natural Smarts, and Advanced Natural Smarts. You may not want your dog to dig a hole, but that is a natural smart. It’s only one though, so you don’t need to make that one you improve. Natural smarts in short are things that your dog can naturally do, but excellence in Natural Smarts is advanced natural smarts (Which you still can improve). An example of natural smarts is the instinct to kill an animal, and so the dog tracks it. Advanced natural smarts is leading your master to the animal. I know you may think of that as a “Learned Advanced Smart”, but a learned advanced smart is a smart that the dog learned completely against instinct. Like skateboarding. Advanced natural smarts are also abilities to sniff out drugs, or landmines. This is because it’s just an improved sense of smell, which is natural.
- Improving Advanced Smarts. Advanced smarts are surf boarding (I know I’ve said it a thousand times, but) skateboarding, being able to learn to wear human clothes that aren’t strapped on. I’m not talking shirts I’m talking hats without the little strings, real dog shoes, and sunglasses. Yes, I know I’m sort of describing a beach dog from movies, but those are actual skills some dogs have.
3 Tips On How To Make Your Dog Smarter
You will first want to go through the basic smarts, and also realize that for your dog to be incredibly smart it could take years of training. Especially if your dog is up there in years.
1. Don’t try to teach your dog advanced smarts, while your trying to teach him to improve his learned, or natural smarts. But do make him learn new smarts, while your teaching him to improve his natural, and basic smarts. Save advanced smarts for last, when he has already established himself in basic, higher, and natural smarts.
2. Don’t get mad, and push your dog. Getting mad may just make him cower, and if you got mad and started yelling “Sit! Sit!” Then the dog may start to fear the word sit. Anger can completely ruin a dogs intelligence.
3. Some Dogs have a “I act as I’m treated attitude”. If you hurt them, and hate them then they will try to hurt, and hate you. Some dogs cower, and hide in these situations. It’s best to avoid angering a dog, or ruining one. To get the best results treat the dog with respect, kindness, love, attention, and all the other good things. This does not mean to let the dog walk all over you though. You still need to discipline your dog, just don’t do it in a cruel way that will make them want to hurt you back. Just throw them in a kennel as a time-out for an hour.
Unlike smartness there aren’t many forms of loyalty. There are only 2.
Maybe you got a dog that was not loyal, and would just walk off on you. The type of dog you knew wouldn’t defend you. Well over time if you take care of him, his loyalty with strengthen. This again touches base on the whole “I act as I’m treated mentality” that all dogs have in this case. They won’t protect you if you harm them, and you shouldn’t be harming them in any form anyways. They will learn loyalty from you taking care of them, kindness, love, compassion, and the occasional toy, and usual treat. Don’t give them to many though.
This is based of of the dogs breed, and it’s character. Some breeds have natural loyalty, and sometimes it’s not the breed, but it is how the dog just is at heart. They may be born loyal. To gain their natural loyalty all you have to do is own them for a week, or two, and again take care of them, and love them.
To increase loyalty you just need to show them loyalty with love, taking care of them etc. etc.
Please leave a comment, like, or subscribe if “How to make a dog smarter and more loyal” was helpful.